Katie's Korner

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Spring forward

Fall back.

And so now the clocks are turned back. This year it happened to coincide just with the leaves starting to turn in NEPA.

Going forward a few weeks peak Fall will paint the landscape with a different palette than the rest of the year, gilding the hills in a rose-gold hue. Changing the tonal look to the earth and reminding us that time is indeed not standing still.

Those of us on the earth the longest have seen this many times, and even though we revel in it each year, it has become "normal" to us.

This year the look of Autumn took on a new meaning for me. My son was feeling quite sick a few weeks back and we had to take a trip to the pediatrician. On the way there to distract him I starting a conversation with him about the leaves on the trees. I asked him to tell me the names of all the colors he saw. He started out with the normal colors...I see green, red, and yellow Mom." Yep, I replied. He then followed up with "and copper, and bronze, golden, and even black...see Mom, the branches look black??" I glanced over and indeed they did.

Now a friend of mine explained to me that children see a larger spectrum of color than we do. I guess you could put it down to that. I put it down to children looking deeper, and seeing more beauty in what is around them.

Peak season has past, and all the leaves are either brown are fallen at this point, but I for one will never look at them quite the same.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home